Is Physiotherapy An Effective Treatment For Arthritis?
Physiotherapy is an effective treatment to treat chronic pain and provide relief. It has the power to restore the quality of your life and ensure faster recovery from any pain or injury. People who have been suffering from Arthritis commonly seek Physiotherapy in Mississauga for managing their pain. The therapy helps to ease pain, increase flexibility and range of motion and builds correct posture.
In this blog, we are going to see how physiotherapy can offer you an effective solution to treat the problem of arthritis. So, let’s read further to know this.
What is Arthritis?
Arthritis is the inflammation of one or more joints. It causes severe pain and makes it difficult for you to get around freely. The condition majorly affects the knees because they carry most of the body weight.
If you have severe arthritis, it can also affect your hands and arms making it impossible for you to do even the daily tasks. In a few cases, joints can become deformed and twisted.
In Canada, Arthritis is the leading cause of disability affecting over 4.6 million people aged 15 years and above. Although it affects millions of people, arthritis is seen more in women than men.
Understanding the problem of arthritis can help you manage its effects. Medications help in the treatment but getting the help of physiotherapists is also beneficial. They help you find other methods of pain relief to recover faster.
Symptoms of Arthritis
The symptoms of Arthritis include-
- Joint stiffness
- Extreme joint pain
- Decreased range of motion
These may worsen with age. So, it is important to find the right treatment for arthritis before it worsens.
Under this, the flexible cartilage at the end of each joint or bone wears down. This causes extreme pain, swelling, and difficulty moving the joints. The problem usually occurs in the hips, knees, neck, and lower back.
Rheumatoid leads to inflammation of the joints and tissues that surround it. It may cause swelling in different organs of the body and which is why we call it a systemic illness.
- Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis
JIA or Juvenile Idiopathic Arthritis is a chronic, non-infective, and inflammatory disease. The problem mainly affects children and adolescents.
How can Arthritis make your life difficult?
Living with Chronic Arthritis can prevent you from actively engaging in your professional and social life, thus hampering your quality of life. People struggling with the problem usually experience poor physical and mental health.
Arthritis can also make it challenging for you to carry out your day-to-day tasks, such as
- Eating: While suffering from chronic joint pain and swelling, eating can be difficult for you. You may feel it hard to bend and pick up a spoon or cut a piece of meat with a knife. All of these need you to apply pressure which can be painful. As a result, you may lose your appetite and daily nutrition intake decreases.
- Walking: A common physical activity such as walking can also be difficult if you don’t find relief from Arthritis. It can be extremely painful to walk even for a few meters. If you are suffering with mobility issues, you may need the help of assistive devices such as canes and walkers.
- Climbing Stairs: If you are suffering with pain in knee, hip, foot, back, and ankle, climbing stairs can also be an issue. You may not feel comfortable climbing the stairs because it will hurt and the pain may increase as well.
- Maintaining Hygiene: Maintaining daily hygiene and grooming yourself can be another difficulty when you have arthritis. Simple personal hygiene activities such as brushing teeth, washing hands with soap and water, combing your hair, cleaning your body parts can be a task. These activities require a lot of movement that causes pain.
- Cleaning: Taking care of household activities such as sweeping, mopping, and more can also be affected. A person with arthritis may find it hard to look after everything all alone.
Physiotherapy Effective Treatment For Arthritis
Leaving arthritis untreated can lead to major disability for a person. Also, simply taking medication isn’t enough because the pain can worsen over time while severely affecting your daily life. Therefore, you need to take action to control it before it is too late.
Physiotherapy for arthritis comes for your rescue. It is a natural treatment that can help you treat the problem of Arthritis. As physiotherapy is effective in treating people with injuries and disabilities, there’s no reason you shouldn’t go for this.
Physiotherapists begin with assessing your muscle strength and then check the range of movement in your joints. They guide you with techniques and strengthening exercises that can bring your joints back to their working condition.
By understanding the problem of Arthritis, physiotherapists can help you manage your symptoms better. Our Physiotherapists in Mississauga have a sound knowledge of treating people who are suffering from this condition. We can provide you a customized treatment plan to help you find relief from pain, swelling, and stiffness in your muscles.
Before giving out a plan, we always consider your prescribed medications to synchronize our treatment accordingly. Our treatment includes strengthening exercises for muscles around the joints. This helps to heal your joints and get relief from pain with no pain relievers that harm your body if used in the long term.
Here are the treatments that we use to offer to Physiotherapy Effective Treatment For Arthritis:
This technique helps to stimulate the brain to enhance the production of endorphins which is a mood uplifter hormone in the body. Specialized needles are used to correct the flow and relieve the pain.
Under this technique, water is used to provide relief from the symptoms. Physiotherapists help with special exercises that are performed in water with a temperature between 33 to 36 degrees Celsius.
Massage therapy is performed to release cortisol, a stress hormone, and stimulate the brain to uplift your mood.
- Hot and Cold packs
Hot packs are used to stimulate blood flow to the affected part of your body and relieve the pain. Cold packs are used to reduce the inflammation and swelling in your body.
With Physiotherapy sessions, you can find extreme relief from the symptoms of Arthritis. Not only an improvement in your lifestyle, but the treatment will also be beneficial for you in the long run. By restoring mobility, relieving pain, and helping you get back to your feet, will bring you back to a position where you can do all your everyday activities with ease and efficiency.
At Proremedy Physiotherapy, you can use our customized treatment plans and services as per your body needs. Our team of expert physiotherapists will diagnose the problem of assessment and provide personalized solutions to treat them.
Book an appointment on- (905) 796 4647 & avail the best Physiotherapy services in Mississauga.